Selecting Australia's World Youth Scrabble team for 2022
The 2022 World Youth Scrabble Championship will be held online as it was last year.
October 15/16 and October 22/23 will have matches scheduled to fit time zones. The third weekend October 29/30 will be a playoff of the top eight.
The event will use Woogles (https://woogles.io
) and will be organised
by the Pakistan Scrabble Association with helpers around the world.
Australia and New Zealand together may send 7 young players. Australian youth get free entry thanks to CASPA. However all suitable players are welcome, provided they play an entry fee.
There is a dedicated website wysc2022.com
with more information
on the technical and other requirements and the schedule.
For more information about Youth Scrabble in the international context, including
reports of the previous WYSC events please visit
For news about the Youth Scrabble happenings in Victoria (and often news about Youth
Scrabble in a wider context), have a look at
This is an invitational event where players are selected by each participating country. For Australia the selection is
done by the Council of Australian Scrabble Players
Association. The rules for selection for free entry (ie the Australian quota places) in 2022 are:
- You must be an Australian citizen, or have resided in Australia for at least 12 months prior to 31.07.2022.
- You must be an ASPA member (or junior member, in NSW) at 31.07.2022
- You must be born 1 Jan 2005 or later
- The qualifying period is 01.08.2021 to 31.07.2022.
- Contenders are ranked by their peak rating
over the qualifying period.
- There are two rating hurdles :
- You must have played 0 games within the Australian rating system before any peak.
- You must play at least 25 games within the Australian rating system during the qualification period.
- If you miss a game for any reason other than an assigned bye, you cannot count a peak attained in that tournament for any
qualification purposes. Games played will count towards games quotas.
Ratings will be calculated as usual, with byes and forfeits not rated.
The secondary criterion is number of rated games within the qualification period.
If two players have the same peak rating,
the one with the greater number of games in the qualification period is ranked higher.
Please inform Tony Hunt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
if you are aware of any other young Australian Scrabble players.
Tony will check age requirements and advise on registration.
Qualification status at 17.08.2022
16.07.2022 Wollongong Winter Tournament (NSW) , Vinh (+57), Raymond (-10)
17.07.2022 AGM Tournament (WA)
17.07.2022 SA July AGM (SA)
24.07.2022 ACT AGM (ACT) , Ronnie (+0)
24.07.2022 NSW Winter Masters (NSW)
24.07.2022 QLD July (QLD) , Ashwin (+16)
24.07.2022 SCRABBLE IN JULY (VIC) , Oscar (-3)
30.07.2022 Townsville Saturday (QLD)
31.07.2022 Townsville Sunday (QLD)